Shole Zard is a sweet Persian Iranian heavenly dessert with a unique taste which comes from a magic combination of rice, sugar , butter ,almond ,saffron & rose water. The flavours are delicious and distinctly Persian. This delicacy is commonly served during important days like a religious holiday or a family celebration.
I came to know about this dessert through super talented fellow blogger friend Vishaka, who has a wonderful blog. I instantly fell head over heels for this recipe when I saw it first time & decided to make it on a special occasion.
I made up my mind to try out this delicacy on the day of love :D, Well that’s not the Valentine day but its the wedding anniversary of my MIL & DIL which falls on Valentine day so Its a double celebration every year :). Some other guests were also invited so It was a big feast day in the family. I prepared a core Punjabi cuisine for the special occasion.Sarson ka saag, Kadhai paneer, Rajma masala,makki ki roti ,butter naan with some other condiments & the star dish of the day ‘Sholey Zard’,which took all of the attention and affection from every single person.
Thank you Vishaka for introducing this awesome flavoursome heavenly dessert 🙂 . The trinity of Rice, Saffron & Rose water was indeed a saporous blast in the mouth.
I double up the quantity since I wanted to make it for more than 15 people. This dish normally develops its color from infused saffron unfortunately I was short of saffron so added some edible red colour. Mix of red color & saffron gave a very nice peach colour instead of yellow. There was no difference in the taste but saffron is recommended as the authentic dish calls for pure saffron colour and flavour but I like my peachy pudding too 😀
So let’s not wait, here you go:
2 Cup Basmati rice
2.5 cups granulated sugar
10 Cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Saffron strands
4 TBS hot water
1/2 cup melted butter
1 Cup almond slivers
2 TBS dried rose petals powder
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 cup rose water
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 TBS crushed dried rose petals and pistachios
1 sheet of Silver Vark
– Wash the rice in fresh water couple of times to wash the starch out & Soak them in water for an hour.
– In a pan, add 10 cups of water, salt & drained rice. Bring it to a boil.
– When cooking, skim the top white form occasionally when it forms.
– Cook for 20-30 minutes or until the rice is tender on low heat.
– Dissolve the saffron in another small bowl or a cup in the hot water & keep aside
– Stir in sugar & cook for 15 minutes,Keep stirring till you get a nice sticky texture
– Melt butter & stir in.
– Add rose water and slivered almonds, ground cardamom & saffron and stir it well.
– Stir over medium or low heat until mixture becomes thick
– Now add rose petal powder few minutes before shutting the gas and mix well.
– Once cooked, pour the mixture into a separate bowl, sprinkle saffron thread, cinnamon powder, Crushed pistachios and dried rose petals & silver vark.
– Chill in refrigerator & Serve cold.