This cake is a stunner,I made it very first time last year when I was in Sweden.This is a very popular recipe from Sweden. This cake is lighter,fluffy,loaded with freshness of berries & fruits.The real recipe calls for rum but I used cranberry molasses instead.Banana pulp & Greek yogurt as a substitute to make an egg less version of this yummy cake.
So what are you waiting for?
Try it ,It is a keeper recipe.
2 Cups All Purpose Flour(or 1:1 APF + WWF)
1 Cup Plain greek yogurt
1/2 Cup Banana Pulp
1/4 Cup Cranberry molasses or 1/4 cup rum
1 Cup mixed berries(fresh or dried)- strawberries, blueberries,raspberries
1 Cup Fresh apricots(fresh or dried), chopped
3,4 Dried figs, chopped
Handful of raisins
1 tsp orange zest,freshly grated
1 tsp lemon zest, freshly grated
1 Cup granulated sugar
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Cup Oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
– Mix dried figs, dried apricots, raisins, orange zest and lemon zest in rum and let it sit for at least 4 hours or as long as long as overnight.If using fresh berries and apricots, don’t soak them
– If you don’t want to use rum, you can use any fruit molasses. I used cranberry molasses instead of rum and used fresh berries & apricots hence I didn’t soak them.
– Heat oven to 180°C & grease the cake pan with oil and dust all over with flour; tap out excess flour and set aside.
– In a bowl,add APF, baking powder, baking soda , cinnamon powder & mix it properly.
– In separate bowl,mix sugar, oil, yogurt,banana pulp;combine them properly.
– Now pour in the fruit-rum mixture if using rum else will just mix in the cranberry molasses in yogurt mix.
– Combine dry and wet ingredients & mix with light hands.Don’t over mix.
– Add fresh fruits in the cake batter(this step should be followed if using fruits fruits else skip it).
– Transfer batter to prepared pan, sprinkle some berries on top,tap the pan and smoothen the surface with a rubber spatula to have a
– Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
– Unmold cake onto a wire rack and let cool completely before slicing.This cake tastes better next day 🙂