I don’t exaggerate if I say,this is my hottest post ever, Yeah you read it right.It is super super hot , super saucy and super fiery that will tickle your taste buds. This is a treasure from beautiful Chamba valley from Himachal,Northern India.One of a kinda of a dish that you should taste once in your lifetime.It is called ‘Chukh’, which is a unique mashed chili pickle.
I had tasted it first time few years ago at a friend’s place over a dinner.She is from Dalhousie & she told me about this wonderful Kick ass saucy pickle. Although the one I tasted was a store bought but I thought that I would definitley buy it if I ever get a chance to visit Chamba,which never happened 🙂
Now hubby & I have settled down in UK & we miss that Indian kick we used to get from homemade pickles & chutneys while having meal so that was the inspiration for me to try my hands on this delectable amalgam of pickle & chutney. I did search for the recipe and found few different versions. It is made from either green or red chili. Some People add nuts or fruits as well. I didn’t want to sweet version so my take was that it has to be spicy and tangy.
I referred the basic concept from here however did some changes as per my instinct & taste sense which I always do :).
Instead of adding only raisins, I used my berry mix, which consists of dried cranberries, black currant & golden sultanas and result is just outstanding . I used bird eye red chili,which are known as super hot chili in the world, hence to balance the fieriness, I added some honey & tamarind pulp as well so this is my version of Chukh.
Do try out this. I bet it is a keeper recipe.
Red Chili Chukh
250 gm Bird Eye Red Chili
1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste or freshly grounded
2 Tbsp Dry Mango Powder
1 Cup Vegetable oil
1 Cup Lemon Juice
1 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
1 tbsp Honey
1 tsp Kashmiri chili for coloring
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp Chili infused Olive Oil
Handful of Berry mix(dried cranberry,black currant & golden sultanas),chopped & soaked in water
Pinch of Asafoetida
Spices for dry roast:
1 ts Fennel Seeds
1 ts Cumin Seeds
1 ts Coriander Seeds
1 ts Carom Seeds
1 ts Fenugreek Seeds
1 ts Brown Mustard Seeds
– Dry roast all the spices and coarsely ground
– Add Chili, ginger,garlic in a mill and coarsly ground.
– Heat oil in a pan & add grouded spices & stir you get nice aroma
– Add the chilli , ginger garlic mix in the pan and mix it well.
– Cook on low heat and stir well.
– Add salt, chili powder,dry mango powder, turmeric powder, tamarind pulp & mix well
– Now add berry mix & honey & stir. This step is optional if you do not want to add berries & honey, since I used bird eye chilies so I added them to balance the fieriness.
– Add asafoetida and cook for 3,4 minutes
– Switch of the burner and cool off
– Once cool,Pour in air tight jar.
– Add some lemon juice & Chili infused olive oil over it and refrigerate
– Serve it as a pickle or Chutney with the meal.